nafex - Re: [NAFEX] figs from seed

  • From: Gene <fidleir@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] figs from seed
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:05:33 +0200 (CEST)

I know an elderly German lady who lives nearby (just outside Washington, DC) who received a packet of dried figs as she and her husband left to emigrate to the US.  She liked them so much she set one aside and planted it here.  It produces figs without the benefit of caprification, and they're fine -- nothing out of the ordinary, but fine.  She has several others that started as clones -- as most are.

A small clarification to what Lon wrote --  while it's true that common figs don't need to be pollinated to set fruit, however if they are pollinated their seeds are viable.  Most common figs are grown to be eaten fresh, and tend to split and spoil when caprified.  Those needing pollination tend to be grown for a dried product, and the seeds give it texture, and a nutty flavor.

Ira Condit was a big fig breeder during the first half of the 20th century.  He and others were searching for the holy grail of the fig industry -- a fig with the taste of being pollinated, without actually being pollinated.  The tiny wasp tends to bring contamination with it and spoils a higher portion of the crop than what growers might wish for.  One nice thing about growing from seed is that the fig mosaic virus that many plants are infected with isn't transmitted through the seed.  Of course mosaic spreads so easily that it probably wouldn't stay clean for long.

-- Gene Hosey (Washington, DC)