nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Fertility

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <NAFEX@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Fertility
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:55:04 -0400

Hello All,

Could someone explain apple self fertility?

>From what I have read, apples produce better when pollinated by another variety.  However, it seems there are many conflicts regarding an apple tree's ability to be self fertile, or varying degrees of self fertility.

I can find one web page that indicates a tree is self fertile, while another will claim it to be self sterile.

There only seem to be a handful  that are totally self fertile.  I think "suntan" is one such variety.

Could someone in the know, discuss this topic further?

Thanks,
Tom

  • [NAFEX] Apple Fertility, Thomas Olenio, 05/27/2004