nafex - RE: [NAFEX] balsor blackberry

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] balsor blackberry
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:07:15 -0500

Gordon, do you live in Canada? I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and saw
that most of the fruiting wood on my Illini Hardy blackberries was
winterkilled, although the canes themselves were not. I've probably had
these plants in the ground for 5 or 6 years. They have borne every year
except two -- once when rabbits girdled all the canes and it looks as
though it will be this year. I'd like to get a plant or two of Balsor,
and see how they compare to Illini. It appears they might be somewhat
more winter hardy. -- Sam Brungardt, USDA zone 4b