nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hornworms on Apples??

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hornworms on Apples??
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:38:38 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Hornworms on Apples??
The Achemon sphinx moth has a caterpillar that looks very much like the tomato hornworm, but it feeds on non-solanaceous plants.  In California it is often found on grapes.  You might have that or another sphinx moth species, but the true tomato hornworm only feeds on solanaceous plants.

I just found what appears to be a tomato hornworm on my apples.  It
seems to be feasting on my very small nickel-sized apples - it eats them
about half-way, and then moves on.

Has anyone ever seen this?  It's a first for me - I thought they just
did solanaceae.

Thanks,