nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning roots

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning roots
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:24:54 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2004 8:19:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, pinewoodel@hotmail.com writes:

My ignorant understanding of all root pruning is
that its goal is to both stimulate new root growth, and to equalize the
roots to whatever pruning has been done to the trees' top.

There is disagreement of pruning at planting. I've read from University research that root growth is stimulated by enzymes generated by the terminal tips of limbs and that pruning the tops can actually slow down root growth. The new advise is not to prune the tops and balancing the tops & bottoms isn't necessary.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] Pruning roots, Jwlehman, 04/30/2004