nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:41:12 -0500

At 02:23 PM 4/30/2004 -0500, Doreen wrote:
My question, and I do have one, is will turkeys do damage to the fruit trees?  Obviously, I have to put up a higher fence around the veggie garden.  But, my concern is the trees.

Doreen,
Sometime in the past, on this list, there's been someone(Del?, Joe?) who related experiences with an older orchardist who specifically kept 'wild-strain' turkeys in his orchard, as he indicated that they were exceptional 'mousers' , capturing and consuming mice & voles - and the caveat was that they HAD to be true wild-strain turkeys - the plain old whites & bronzes just didn't seem to have that instinct.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY