nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning clonal roots

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning clonal roots
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:27:07 +0000

I trim the long fibrous roots short enough so they don't cross each other.
When I worked for a large nursery we trimmed hundreds of roots per day and used pruning shears for bundles of small trees and shrubs, lopping the long fibrous roots off as they dangled down, we cut them short, to within a few inches of the main root. Sometimes this meant cutting 80% of the root length.
I don't worry about cutting a lot off of thin fibrous roots, I don't think they contain that much in nutrients whereas larger firm roots do, (I usually only cut the ends off of larger roots to make sure they have a clean cut)
I hope this addresses your concerns

Kevin Bradley
Edible Forest Nursery
zones 3, 4, and 5