nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears & fireblight

  • From: natelson@pipeline.com
  • To: thomas@tbeckett.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears & fireblight
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:40:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Dear Thomas,

Our climate in Houston is warmer than yours (zone 9) but probably even
more humid. Fireblight is always a significant problem for us and this was a
particularly bad spring because of unceasing rains. Many of our early
blooming varieties such as Southern Bartlett, Spaulding, Louisiana Beauty and
Meadows got extensive blight at the flower level because it was too wet to
spray with streptomycin or other remedies. These trees, themselves, do not
seem to be threatened, and in most years, they do fine and set large numbers
of fruit. There are several varieties that, over many years of observation,
seem totally resistant to the fireblight problem here. One is Southern
Queen, which originated in Mississippi, and another is Tennessee, which was
developed but not released by the Univ. of Tenn. As usually, these have set
many fruit which look fine. Other varieties, such as Turnbull, always have
some blight, but set so many fruit anyway, that this is never a significant
problem. They could be considered fireblight tolerant, and it is not
necessary to spray them with anything. Unfortunately, this is not a high
quality pear. Still others, such as Floridahome (interestingly, one of its
parents is Tennessee) have absolutely no resistance to blight and are
immediately killed the first year they bloom here. The Warren pear is of
high quality and later blooming and has a minor problem with blight.
Unfortunately, it never sets a large crop here. I think with proper
selection, you should easily be able to combat the fireblight problem.

Regards,
Ethan