nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: need opinions on the quality of these new trees

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: need opinions on the quality of these new trees
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 07:18:33 EDT

I meant that the trees had to go deep in order to compensate for the 8 " of rootstock above the roots. I put the graft unions about 3 inches above the soil line, which meant that 5 inches of rootstock trunk went in the ground along with the roots..

Uma

Hi Uma,

I'm not sure why you wish to plant with the graft line so near the soil. The tree should be planted at the same depth it was when dug. If the graft was made 12 inches above the soil line it should planted again with the graft 12 inches above the soil. There are times when trees are planted with the graft below the surface and that is when an "own rooted" tree is desired. Some species, malus for example, will develop own roots if below the graft line. Don't worry how high above the ground the graft is.  Trees should almost always be replanted at the same depth as it originally was. I've seen trees with the graft line 8 feet up.

Now should you redig them up and plant to the depth it was in the nursery? If they are say 8 inches deeper than they were I'd recommend doing just that. Some might disagree. One can replant too deep.

Jerry