nafex - [NAFEX] Successful Grafts?

  • From: "Jason E Haynes" <jason@freerangefarms.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Successful Grafts?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:52:12 -0600

Hi.  I am new to grafting apple trees and have done close to 80 this year by whip and tongue.  I have already set the trees out and most all of them have sprouted and have grown about ½”.  Does this mean the graft has taken?  The reason for my question is I had 3 pear scions get mixed in with the apples and so I accidentally grafted the pears on M111 rootstock.  They too have sprouted!  So this has me wondering if the grafts have taken or if the scion wood itself is supporting the growth thus far?  I am in NE Alabama zone 7.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!