nafex - [NAFEX] Agarita or other Berberis fruits

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Agarita or other Berberis fruits
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:18:03 -0800 (PST)

A friend of mine bought me a nice poster from a group
from central Texas called "Treefolks". This poster
consists of a number of edible trees/shrubs that grow
well in Taxas.

In the poster that is a lovely plant called Agarita
(Berberis trifoliolata). It seems to be a native to
that region. I have never heared of this plant before,
nor can I find much more fruit info than a recipe or
two of Agarita wine.

Does anyone grow this plant and use its fruit?
How about any of the other Berberis group of plants.

PS: The poster also mentions the Mexican plum?
Does anyone use this one?