nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear seedling problems

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear seedling problems
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:21:42 -0500

Hi,

I have grown tomato seedlings for years, and having the light too close is never an issue.  When the leaves touch the fluorescent bulbs I raise the bulbs just enough so they do not touch (1/4").  The lights also run 16 hours a day.  A small fan keeps the air moving, which moves the seedlings, which inspires strong stocky stems.

Having the lights too far away gets you spindly stems, as the seedlings reach for the weak fluorescent light..

Transplanting tomatoes into too cool outdoor soil can set them back as you indicated.

Later,
Tom

Scott Williamson wrote:

If it's not a disease I would tend to think too much light or the light source too close.  I had some tomato seedlings I started one year and kept the light too close the them.  The leaves got darker and darker on them almost to the point of looking black until I planted them.  They never died, but they took about 2 months to recover and start growing normally.