nafex - [NAFEX] wholesale nurseries

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wholesale nurseries
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:29:00 -0500 (EST)

I have a bunch of landscaping to do of my own yard ($2000 or more in plants
to purchase). I have been advised that I can get a nuresery business license
from the state for $45 and buy my plants from a wholesale nursery at a lower
price that at a retail place. I may resell a small quantity of plants to
friends if I have the energy to organize this, but that is not my main
purpose in getting the license. As long as my sales a below a certain level,
I won't have taxes to pay to the state. What is the catch here? It sounds
like I'm getting something for the nothing (buying plants at wholesale
prices). Could someone please explain the wholesale nursery business to me?
Can I by a few plants here, a few plants there, or do wholesale places only
deal in big orders? Is the wholesale/retail distinction all about tracking
who pays what taxes?
-Mark Lee