nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Pear seedling problems

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Pear seedling problems
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:18:21 -0600

It sure sounds like fire blight. Perhaps you planted your seeds in
contaminated soil, else it may be some kind of mineral deficiency if
you planted in sterile potting soil.

I used a peat/perlite mix.

Also are they warm enough?

About 70F, which may not be warm enough. Humidity 25%-30%.

Does your water have excess minerals (dog urinates on seedlings? ;-)?

I use rainwater that I collected last fall.

Tiny insects such as spider mites?

Nope, I checked that out right away.

I really appreciate your thoughts, just nothing seems to stand out. I thought it may be fireblight, but I would find that odd as there isn't any fireblight in the orchard where I did the crosses.

Thanks again,

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3