nafex - Re: [NAFEX] U of S Cherries

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: ED@currants.com
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] U of S Cherries
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:25:08 EST

"Has there ever been cooperative breeding programs between Canada and the USA"

There is a lot of cooperation between the two countries and also with Europe.I have brought in many gooseberries and currants from Canada and fron Europe to use in the breeding program here. BUT we still have to abide by the import rules and the processes set up to protect each other. I brought in 14 cultivars of gooseberries from Belgium and they have remained in quarantine at Beltsville for almost 5 years, I received 5 of them about a month ago and was informed that at least 4 more would have to be destroyed because they could not pass the requirement that they be free of a virus. The others are still undergoing more testing.

I respect these rules and the necessity for them. There are diseases and pests in Europe that we do not have in the USA or in Canada. It is much easier to bring plants in from Canada. But they must be inspected. I have been informed that even tissue cultures must go through this process. Both sides are trying to find a method that both can live with and be comfortable that no disease will be imported along with the cultivar that we bring in.

It is very important that we not circumvent these rules that are in place to protect the fruit industry or just the home gardens that we all enjoy. The White Pine Blister Rust that invoked the federal ban on gooseberries and currants many years ago was brought to North America on white pine seedlings that were inported from Europe.

Ed Mashburn