nafex - Re: [NAFEX] M9

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] M9
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:46:38 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

It is difficult to give a specifc answer, but in Zone7 & Zone8 clay, I water
dwarf trees with 5-10 gallons at planting & not again until a rainless period
the growing season has exceeded one week during their first year of growth.
After that, I only water after a two week period. In either case, I give
each tree at least 5 gallons.

This may not be directly relevant, but I remember a delightful & interesting
story told to us by Dr. Gary Couvillon at University of Georgia. He knew of
a very successful nursery that had established a reputation over the years of
selling trees that would not die. Every tree or bush they sold included a
bottle of "magic pills" with instructions to dissolve one pill in a 5 gallon
bucket of water immediately after planting and each week thereafter during
the first year and apply the concoction to the tree. The nursery owner
confided to Professor Couvillon that the magic pills were just aspirin, but
he found it was an effective way to get people to water the young trees
regularly. Earlier in his career, he had problems with having to replace
trees that had died from lack of water despite carefully including
instructions to water regularly.

(The aspirin may, incidentally, have had some effect on eliciting pathogen
defense response that would aid in warding off disease, but probably the main
effect was to elicit the people to water!)

Anton