nafex - Re: [NAFEX] osage orange hedge

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] osage orange hedge
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:02:39 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] osage orange hedge
The only one I can remember by name is "A Reverence For Wood" by Eric Sloane.  The book is about 40 years old, though, and surely long out of print.  I'm sure someone else on the list knows of some actual quotable reference.  I've read more than one that talked about homesteaders planting posts of osage orange and having them grow into trees.  Granted, this was in places like Texas with a warm climate and plenty of summer rainfall.  Here in Oregon the darn stuff hardly grows.
-Lon Rombough