nafex - [NAFEX] Spray N' Groan

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spray N' Groan
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:26:42 -0500

1. There is a reason why the ingredients in Spray N' Grow are secret. It is because they consist mainly of water and a color change agent. When more water is added to the original water, it makes the solution change from a sickly clear to a sickly yellow color. This is an impressive scientific phenomenon.

2. Many years ago, a fellow down in Houston was fiddling around in his garage when he discovered a magic solution. But the solution he found was not liquid. It was marketing. Direct mail marketing, to be exact, with a heavy component of testimonials from happy consumers. If you mail out enough brochures, somebody will buy your stuff, and if you price it high, many of them are going to appreciate it because, well, if it's expensive it must be good. This fellow from Houston was no fool. He had figured out a basic characteristic of human nature.

3. Most of the people who buy this stuff are experienced and capable gardeners. They grow beautiful vegetables and fruits. When they apply Spray N' Grow they still grow beautiful vegetables and fruits. But now that they have spent 20 bucks for a small bottle of water, they want to credit the product for their success. And they are happy to offer their cards, letters and photographs. Most of them never wonder why a fellow from Houston with no scientific credentials was able to discover an agricultural miracle that had eluded researchers the world over. Not that there is anything wrong with being from Houston. Far from it.

4. In fact, the invention of Spray N' Grow in Houston is an anomaly. Most of the real action takes place around San Francisco. That lovely city is the epicenter of "bio-dynamics", wherein, as Jim Erdman has observed, burying substances in a cow's skull for later use is a principal element of the system. Concentrating "life forces" with crystals, chants, and seances is a growth industry in San Francisco, where there always seems to be a shortage of life forces.

5. The world is full of hokum, and I would be the last to call anyone foolish for buying Spray N' Grown. The reason? Because I bought some myself, tried it for two years, and discovered that using it or not using it produced exactly the same results. So, like Bernie, I learned something, and it only cost me a little over 20 bucks. With the costs of education so high, that's very reasonable.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA