nafex - [NAFEX] Cherry Question

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherry Question
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:02:21 -0500

Growing up (Maryland, between Baltimore and Frederick) we had several cherry trees: a Morello (made the best pies and preserves in the world), a Black Heart (a very dark sweet cherry that was great for fresh eating), and a Yellow Wax (or at least that was what my grandparents said its name was). While I often see sour cherries with Morello in their ancestry, I have not located a Morello tree to plant. I've not even seen references, other than historical (such as Gunston Hall in VA), to the Black Heart.
The Morello and Black Heart were prodigious producers, and I would be very interested to find both (or either) to plant. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might locate them?

Thanks,
Chris