nafex - [NAFEX] Re: steam juicer/canning

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: steam juicer/canning
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:41:24 -0500

Del, the only problem with losing the seal on canning jars in my experience
is caused by not getting the rim scrupulously clean and wiping the filled,
hot jar clean and dry with paper toweling immediately before applying the
warm lid. Of course old dried lids would probably cause bad seals as well.
I'm presently eating tomatoes, white and sweet potatoes, bamboo sprouts,
apple sauce, venison, corn, limas, and hominy; some of which were canned as
early as 1992.
Had to go to canning because of loss of power due to hurricanes, etc., made
freezing too risky. I have always used USDA instructions to the letter,
except for bamboo shoots and hominy.
Think maybe it could be hard water which could leave a magnesium residue on
the jar lip?
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7-8

  • [NAFEX] Re: steam juicer/canning, Doc Lisenby, 01/04/2004