nafex - [NAFEX] Pine nuts from India.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jerry Lehman <Jwlehman@aol.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pine nuts from India.
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:53:43 -0000

Dear Nafexers,

It struck me to give you some information about CHILGOZA - Pinus gerardiana
which has also been called pine nut by Jerry Lehman. May be some of you are
interested in it.

This pine grows wild in the dry temperate region of the North West India
which adjoins China. The seeds of this pine are gathered in October by
people from the forests. These are fondly eaten by people during winters.
It is a delicacy and is quite expensive by Indian standards. It is served
alongwith with dry fruits or nuts like cashew or pistachio in the homes of
rich people only.

I have procured some nuts at the request of Jerry Lehman and hope to bring
some to the 2004 NAFEX Meeting. These seeds usuaklly turn rancid after 5-6
months. So may not be able to retain their oiginal taste by that time.

If any of you is interested in more information or a picture of CHILGOZA
seeds, please write me. I shall e-mail picture and more information.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com