nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Wood Ashes

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Wood Ashes
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:27:53 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2003 11:16:24 PM US Eastern Standard Time, megdanh@comcast.net writes:

I've got typical New England acidic soil as well.  Would spreading ashes lightly in a circle around the drip line of my peaches, plums, pears, and cherries be a good idea?

Hello Dan,

Yes, it would, especially seeing you are on naturally acid soil. Problem is judging how much, but likely not a big concern for your soil.

Some years back I started applying wood ashes to my garden which tends to be slightly sweet (alkaline) due to lime stone deposits in the area, or at least that is what I'm told. After about three years of heavy applications I noticed poor growth and yellowing of leaves. I felt sure I had gone too far. So I purchased granulated sulfur applied it, just guessed, nothing scientific and got lucky. Problem resolved.

Planted here are over 1,200 persimmon, pawpaw, and nut trees. My ashes are spread along the tree rows direct from the ash bucket. I've not noticed any problem, but tree roots are deeper than garden vegetables therefore more isolated.

Personal observation on fertilizing along the drip line: Roots absorb nutrients at the tips, not along the surface. Many trees have roots extended nearly as far out as the tree is tall. Most trees aren't as wide as tall. Bottom line is I firmly believe the ashes should be applied beyond the drip line and as far as the tree is tall. Now if you are fertilizing trees on dwarfing root stocks that doesn't hold true and the drip line and under would be better.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Re: Wood Ashes, Jwlehman, 01/01/2004