nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:00:35 -0400

Gene,
The first time I planted pine nuts, some varmint dug all of them up the
first night.
The second time I planted them in a wire cage in my greenhouse, the first
night a mouse worked his way into the cage and ate all the nuts, in the
morning my cat was trying to get at the mouse in the cage.
A friend near Asheville, NC, has a couple trees that his parents planted
for pine nuts - he has never gotten one, the squirrels tear open the cones
and eat them up in the tree.
Good luck.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040