nafex - [NAFEX] apples and heat

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apples and heat
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:07:36 -0800 (PST)

I grew up eating store bought apples (still have to)
and I like medium sour apples. But I like most
fruit underripe and firm - I sort through and pick
out the firmest, hardest nectarines at the store (I
sniff them to see if they are ripe enough to eat)

Incidentally, my favorite apple is Swiss Gourmet.
I put one in last year, but it will be awhile.

My question: Someone said the Cox types don't do well
in heat. We have very hot summers (often over 100°),
but very dry, no humidity at all. Are Cox a bad idea
here? Is heat a problem for other apples or other
fruits? I always thought it was good (sure is good
for tomatoes...)

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7, Sunset Zone 7, 1800' elevation
19" annual rainfall