nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Thriving Small Farms

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Thriving Small Farms
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:21:54 -0600

mIEKAL and Tom:

What you describe is exactly my point. Price supports for small farmers, in
the case of Ontario, and the "Organic" label, which either via government or
private certification protects certain "inefficiencies" that would not allow
Organic Valley to use organic/more sustainable methods and compete with
conventional agriculture for the trade of the masses. Most consumers, as it
stands would not be willing to double their food bills for a healthier
agriculture any more than gas hogging, SUV driving idiots are willing to
forgo their "pleasure" for the sake of the planet. Sometimes a bit of
government persuasion/ direction/ coercion is necessary so the selfishness
of the few doesn't destroy us all. The very least that government can do is
to prevent producers from externalizing costs--having all of society pay
indirectly to subsidize a business' own waste/greed etc. or to prevent the
other side of the equation, certain consumers, tfrom paying a price (cheap
gas, for example) that doesn't take into account pollution, CO2 production,
health care costs associated with these, wars to protect the oil supply and
on and on. (I did support the use of force to topple that monster Hussein,
but that's for another forum.)

That's why I buy organic. In effect I have chosen to pay a premium of 50 to
100% to support non-industrial agriculture. Unfortunately, organic is what?
2% of the US food market? You are not going to capture the Junkfood Nation
that makes up the vast majority of US consumers as long as Uncle Sam
structures the "market" to line the pockets of the big guys. The food
corporations continue to brainwash us from the cradle to the grave to buy
their garbage. If anyone thinks that advertising isn't driving current
obesity increases, then you have to assume that megafood processor just
throw their money down an advertising rathole for the fun of oit.

Lone Rock