nafex - [NAFEX] Hampshire Apple

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hampshire Apple
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:31:42 -0600

Victoria Caron had Hampshire at her previous place - buit I don't know if it made the move to the new home with her.  Haven't seen her on the list recently, so I don't know if she's been 'lurking' or just hasn't resubscribed since the move.   Vic may be able to give her first-hand experiences with Hampshire, and may know of a source.
She also had a seedling of Hampshire that she'd grown out for trial, and was calling 'Hampshire Red' - she shared some scionwood with me a couple of years back; I'd bet anything it has a red-fleshed crab parent - bark was dark, wood was dark purple - looked like you'd squashed a pokeberry on it - darker than the wood of any of the red-fleshed varieties I've worked with before, foliage, especially new growth, was  purple.  I think Hamp Red has bloomed, and may have fruited for her this year or last.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY