nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Patented Varieties

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Patented Varieties
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:47:53 -0600

"Lon J. Rombough" said "I have a PDF file of the most recent list from
there." ["there" being the American Society for Horticultural Science].

I tried poking around their web site and was quite unsuccessful in finding that PDF file.
(1) Could you point me in the right direction? (2) Or is it one of those things in the "member's only" part of their web site?
(3) Is the PDF file something that you are permitted to make available to the
rest of us?

I've tried finding patent info at the USPO (www.uspto.gov) and it's pretty
hard. I arbitrarily tried hunting for Gold Rush which I know to be a PRI
Co-op apple. It seems like you have to already know a lot about the fruit
before you can actually search for it. You can supposedly search via
www.firstgov.gov, but even that has me pretty much stumped. (I gave up on
Gold Rush. My guess is that I need to find the patent number and then do the
search.)

My guess is that the best approach is to find a friendly grower who knows the
details and can help you. I did find one localish grower who was willing to
tell me what the royalty details were and was willing to accept the payment
from me and then bundle it in with his when he made his payments. It would be
really nice if there were a central clearing house where that could be easily
done. Maybe there is, but I haven't heard of it yet.

-- sb
Stefan Brandle, Ph.D., Taylor University Computer Science
sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu, Telephone: 765-998-4685 FAX: 765-998-4940
http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~sbrandle