nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Patented Varieties

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Patented Varieties
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:44:46 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Patented Varieties
Actually, it varies with the breeder.  Some breeders only ask that you not propagate varieties commercially without a license - one individual increasing a few plants for their own use isn't usually considered a problem.  This tends to apply more to fruit than to ornamentals, though.
   As to where to find patents, all fruit patents are listed in the Register of New Fruit and Nut Varieties by Brooks and Olmo.  The last edition was the 3rd edition.  You can also get updated lists from the American Society for Horticultural Science.   I have a PDF file of the most recent list from there.  Also, patents are for a term of 17 years, so anything that has passed that term is open to propagation unless the holder extends the patent, which is very rare.
   -Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

1.  No, you cannot graft a patented cultivar, even for your own
noncommercial use.
2.  No, same as above.

Note however, that patents expire.  If the plant was patented many
years ago and is no longer sold by the patent holder, the patent may
have expired, in which case these would be okay legally, and morally.
Personally, I have trouble respecting the moral claim to a patent or a
copyright of anything that the owner of is no longer selling.  (Selling
a low volume item every few years counts as "still selling", but
there's lots a abandoned property out there.  It may not be legal, but
I haven't been convinced it's immoral to clone or copy in these cases.)

In some cases, you can buy the rights to copy a patented plant fairly
cheaply.  (At least, cheap if you just want to make a couple of plants
for you and your friend.)  I would pursue this if I had a patented
plant I wanted to propagate.

3.  Good question.  I don't know the answer.  If the people you bought
the original plant from are still selling it, they may know.  Even if
they aren't selling it, they may be able to direct you to the patent
holder, or some other seller.  You could also research commercial
sellers through the seed-savers book - any reputable commercial seller
ought to know the patent status of whatever they are selling.  Most of
them will also have someone who could share that with you.

Ginda