nafex - Re: [NAFEX] osage orange rootstock

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] osage orange rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:16:30 -0600

At 09:54 PM 11/4/2003 -0600, Keith wrote:
osage orange is a good rootstock for chinese che and possibly mulberry.

Che, for sure.  Mulberry, maybe.
I'm sure I've related this before, but I got some Che scions from a fellow NAFEXer(thanks again, Pete) a couple of years back - the grafted quite nicely onto OO rootstock, but I tried a couple of pieces on some M.alba seedlings in the nursery beds, and they did not do anything.  Granted, two attempts don't mean much - not all the grafts I made onto OO took, either.
Might be worth a try, just for curiosity's sake, putting mulberry on OO, but I have more ready access to volunteer M.alba seedlings for use as mulberry understocks than I do to OO, without going to the minor trouble of bletting the OO fruits and growing seedlings.

Lucky