nafex - Re: [NAFEX] monoculture

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] monoculture
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:08:01 -0500

I agree, in my town so far the pin oaks are fine, but we used to have elms
all over the place until various diseases took them out. They replaced all
the elms with ashes and I'm right in the middle of the emerald ash borer
quarantine area. It's amazing how rapidly they are dying out. An estimated
40% of our trees are ashes. I guess this should help the oaks a little by
providing them more light. The devastation is comparable to losing the
chestnuts.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
zone 5b