nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rabbits?

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rabbits?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:49:13 -0400

Hi Tom
When leaves/grasses or dead, rabbits look for bark, tender twigs.
In most cases the rabbit eats little or none of the grape vine. They seem to
sever it just to taste it, leaving the cut stalk on the ground uneaten- then
go to the next vine and repeat.
For a few vines use Skoot, apparently varmints do not like the taste of
Skoot. Remember to cover up higher than the rabbit can reach standing in
snow pack.
Recycled window screen from your hardware store made into spirals also
works. Make it tight around the bottom to keep out mice, although I seldom
find mouse damage in grapes.
If in mid winter you find cut-offs lying in snow, take them in, size like
cuttings and plant in pots. Many will grow even if they've sat in snow for
2-3 days or perhaps longer.
Cheers Bert
Bert Dunn RR4 Tottenham Zone 4b
www.hardygrapes.tottenham.on.ca