nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liberty

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liberty
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:35:30 -0400

On Saturday, September 27, 2003, at 01:18 AM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

Gang:

Question on Liberty appleā€¦

. . .
Source I have read state the apple stores 3-6 months, but one Liberty apple expert gives it 4-6 weeks. All sources seem to agree it needs a bit of time off the tree to develop full flavor but neglect to mention how long that mellowing time should be.
. . .

In my cool (but not cold) basement, you don't want to store it more than a few weeks. Zero-2 weeks is probably optimal, but they are still okay for sauce at 4-6 weeks. They keep a few weeks longer in the fridge, but 3 months is probably pushing it. (4-6 weeks in the fridge for eating out of hand sounds about right.) That 3-6 month figure must be for CA storage, or maybe it's just wrong.

This is not a half-hour apple, but it's not a keeping apple, either. I treat 'em like Macs and an pleasantly surprised that they do a little better than I expect.

Ginda