nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:08:25 -0500

At 03:23 AM 8/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:
 I am of the more organic persuasion, and the idea of Round-Up does indeed make me cringe, or worse. If I ever did concider using round-up, the idea of injecting it directly into the problem plant is the best one I have heard.

While I'm not strictly organic, I don't  use chemical herbicides willy-nilly.  But, faced with an Ailanthus - or, in my case, thorny honeylocust, black locust(in undesirable locations), sweetgum(in any location), or the ubiquitous hackberry, I have no reservations about using Brush-B-Gon or Tordon as a stump treatment to ensure those dastardly things don't re-sprout.   Compared to those two, Roundup is pretty innocuous, though I still wonder how effective it is, in comparison, when used as a stump treatment.
I even have a little pint can of Agent Orange that I'm holding back in reserve for any Ailanthus or Liquidambar that raise their ugly heads around here.

Lucky