nafex - [NAFEX] Potted Culture

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potted Culture
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:40:34 -0400

Hello All,

This is my second year having an apple tree in a 30 gallon utility tub, and I
have a question.

It is a Court Pendu Plat grafted on M7 rootstock. The tub has drain holes,
broken crockery, and
3" of sand in the bottom for drainage. The soil is very good, and I gave it
1" of compost this
spring. This is the second season the tree has been in the tub.

All the leaves on this seasons new, green growth are cupped (curled) upwards.
Leaves on last
seasons growth are much more flat. Is this normal in potted culture? I have
not seen similar
behaviour in apples in the ground.

I water (approx) 2 gallons a week, the tree is growing, and there is no
yellowing or disease,
just this cupping upwards of new growth leaves.

Is this something that just happens in potted culture?

Thanks,
Tom