nafex - [NAFEX] Peach grafts and wasps

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach grafts and wasps
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:54:41 -0400

I have two questions. Firstly, I am trying to save a peach variety that is unidentified yet a favorite of my grandparents. They have a tree(which they were told was a cherry tree when it was given to them) which is on it's last legs, and I am hoping to graft from it to keep it alive. I planted three Reliance trees this spring to graft to, this being the only peach I know of which regularly ripens here. Are there any suggestions as to what types of grafts work well with peaches? Should I T-bud them this summer or rind graft them come spring? My only grafting experience is with apples.
Secondly, we are seeing unusually high yellow jacket damage in our raspberries this year. Is anyone else experiencing a high yellow jacket population? Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping them out of raspberries(we have approx. 1/2 acre of fruit)?