nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin - Highest pectin content.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <art@complum.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin - Highest pectin content.
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:54:14 +0530

Let me add here something about pectin content in fruits.

There is a fruit called LASSORA - Cordia obliqua. It grows wild in the mid
hills of North West Himalayas. The fruits when unripe, are cooked as a
vegetable and are considered very good for stomach. A bvery good pickle is
also made out of these. Though this tree is not cultivated, but the unripe
fruits are sold in the market during the season.

Fruits of LASSORA contain 4.5% pectin. I do not think that any fruit
contains so much of pectin.

There is a picture of LASSORA fruits at my website.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com