nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Cedar Sawdust/Shavings

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Cedar Sawdust/Shavings
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:54:31 -0400

I can see where cedar shavings may be hard to mulch because cedar (and locust) is favored for its' long life as fence posts.
As a boy we used cedar shavings for bird dog bedding for their reputation of repelling ticks and fleas.  I went to the old home place where the dog pens were and there is still evidence of cedar shavings on the ground. They are still there after over fifty years.  Of course they weren't tilled into the ground, but still....?
A caution about using pine shavings for dog bedding. I lost a litter of English Setters because I put them in the bitch's box and she aborted them.  I've learned hence that turpentine is an abortifacient.  In med school we were told that turpentine was removed from counter-irritants because of chance exposure to pregnant women.
Pine sawdust seems to decompose very slowly in the compost pile. I don't add it for that reason and as has been mentioned, doesn't support the nitrifying bacteria very well. All the pines here are probably why desired mushrooms and other fungi don't grow well. May be the low pH of pine land 'tho.
Cedar apple rust isn't bothered by the pines. I have plenty of that. Now I'm seeing quince rust on my Juneberries as well as my Mayhaw berries.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: Cedar Sawdust/Shavings, longdistshtr, 05/30/2003