nafex - [NAFEX] plum grafting / tapes

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] plum grafting / tapes
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:23:09 +0000

I have, until this year, exactly one successful plum graft to my name - having done a couple hundred attempts of spring w/t and fall T budding over the last 4 years. Thanks to John Bunker's encouragement during the nafex meeting in MN, I have once again tackled plum grafting. I am most comfortable with w/t grafting, but this year have done it a month later, after rootstocks have leafed out and temps are up to the 70's.
With Dave Griffin's advice I have done root grafting of plums , using the white root grafting tape that is meant to rot away. So far I can claim at least 50 percent success in takes. I am used to high 90's in pear and apple, but even if this is all that I get I am indeed smiling!
Early May I also w/t grafted a couple dozen plum scions on tree branches, no apparent takes as of yet.
Thanks to Tanis for the tip about rubber splicing tape, I used up 2 rolls grafting pears and apples this year, and am very pleased with using it. Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3