nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Antioxidants in Bilberry, related blueberries, and other dark fruits

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Antioxidants in Bilberry, related blueberries, and other dark fruits
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:50:22 -0400

I don't know about bilberries, but lowbush blueberries ("wild" blueberries) grow in the wild in zone 4 in New England. I haven't seen any research on eye disease, but there was intriguing research into (American) blueberries and degenerative brain malfunctions. That is, old rats who ate lots of blueberries had improved memory and balance compared to old rats who didn't. The study was small but quite impressive. There's a larger study under way now. So there may well be something in blueberries that's good for degenerative diseases.

Ginda