nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: honey berry

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: honey berry
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:07:37 -0700 (MST)

According to a friend in Siberia, the Russians have by far the best tasting
honeyberry varieties, as compared to north american varieties. They appear
to be a zone 2 or zone 3 fruit as grown there, often in areas with low
temperatures colder than -40C each winter. However, my friend says the very
best honeyberry he has tasted fresh in Siberia is still inferior to a
saskatoon (juneberry) in taste.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
still lots of snow around, but wet and melting

At 04:50 PM 3/31/03 -0800, you wrote:
>We had a few fruits from year to year, Mike. Only enough for a taste, and
while they tasted good, after all they were the first fruits of the year,
they were nowhere near as good as blueberry nor a particle as productive.
They would probably be fine in zone 4 and colder where you can't grow much
fruit. I think that's why the Russians like them. Hector Black zone 6
middle tn

don't set well, probably because they bloom way before any insects are out
to pollinate them. There are new types being developed that will set
better, but they are several years away.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Re: honey berry, Bernie Nikolai, 03/31/2003