nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Was: auxins in urine; Now Willow Water

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Was: auxins in urine; Now Willow Water
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:37:51 -0500

It was written:

> <snip> I would probably take a gallon container, fill it with water and
> place willow whips in
> it. Wait for the roots to develop and you have your willow water. <snip>
>
> <snip> The willow bark has acetic acid compounds in it that are nearly
> identical to commercial
> aspirin. <snip>

Hi,

It would be wise to pour boiling water over you willow cuttings to kill any
disease, or
impurity. You would not want to introduce disease to new plants.

The active ingrediant is salixcidic acid. I believe it is found most
plentiful in young willow
branch tips, pencil size in diameter and smaller.

Fill a gallon jar with willow cuttings, cut into short lengths (3 lbs worth),
then cover with
boiling water and let cool 24 hours. Once cool remove the whips and use for
a rooting dip. The
smaller the cuttings the more salixcidic acid your willow tea will acquire.

I am not sure how long it will store and still be useful. Possibly someone
else knows.

Natives sure were smart to find ASA so early.

Later,
Tom
----
Canada plant hardiness zone 5b