nafex - [NAFEX] what do apples taste like?

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] what do apples taste like?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:16:14 -0600

I think the trick would be to find some extremes, and group taste buds accordingly.  For example, years ago when I was sampling lots of weird citrus from the Fla Budwood collection, I found a pummelo and a pummelo hybrid that were at opposite ends of the "grapefuit" flavor spectrum.  I took them to a Florida grapefruit nut to find out what she thought of them.  She hated "Thong Dee", which was bitter but not sour, and loved  "Smooth Flat Seville" which was sour but not bitter.  My opinion was just the opposite.
    Tastes change with age and health, with children very sensitive to bitter flavors but generally liking sour things.  According to Chinese medicine, our tastes change with our emotions.  If "kidney" function is poor (this includes adrenals in TCM) a person will be fearful and will crave salt.  Sour, bitter, sweet, and pungent flavors are all associated with health and mood.  It has been found by western reseachers that when a person is griefstricken, bitter foods are intolerably bitter.  As bitterness is associated with joy in TCM, it may be that as this person eats the foods his family is eating, his recovery may be speeded up, or perhaps he will not be able to stand the "joyful" flavor that others are eating.
    Anyway, this is all food for thought...   Donna
P.S.  The woman who loved the sour pummelo cross has had liver trouble the last few years, which is associated with sour tastes, and she can no longer stand to eat grapefruit, they are too sour now she finds.