nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples

  • From: David Ulmer <davidu9999@covad.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Late-keeping apples
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:30:16 -0800

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 12:33:46 -0500, Ed Fackler wrote:
>David:
>
>My guess is that you are picking them a tad  late for longterm
>storage.  Am astounded by some of the comments alluding  to GR being
>bland or I can't imagine this with a legit  GoldRush.
>Also,  I'm fairly certain that GR will develop more sugars when
>grown in a longer  district due simply to more phytosynate
>accumulation during the last days on the  tree.  Even in zone 6,
>they'd brix higher than Fuji or any other apple, but  taste
>extremely tart when picked.
>The shriveling that quick under described  conditions again leads me
>to think they were picked a few days late under your  warmer or more
>sunlight conditions.

You are probably right, Ed.  I'm known to let everything "tree ripen" even when that is not the thing to do.  I've finally taught myself to pick pears early enough and refrigerate for awhile.  Boy, are those Gold Rush apples good!

Finally had some frost the last two nights - 27 degrees this AM but a beautiful mid 60's afternoon.

David Ulmer

Sebastopol, CA

Home of Luther Burbank's    Experimental    Farm

David Ulmer, davidu9999@covad.net on 02/03/2003