nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shady/rich soil/fruit?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shady/rich soil/fruit?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:01:32 +0000

Del, it seems the semishaded situation and the soil would lend itself well to currants or gooseberries or perhaps summer-bearing raspberries. Bush cherries or some other small fruits that ripen early in summer might also be an option in a short-season location such as yours. Another thing you might consider is taking out some of the trees that are shading this choice spot. Above all, keep the rows aligned with the slope to help cold air drain through your planting. -- Sam

Thanks Sam, I hadn't thought about the row direction aiding air drainage.
Anyone have opinions about Evans cherries, blueberries in this situation? I have 30 Evans to plant out this spring and 10 blueberries coming. Hoping to get some crandalls as well. Del z2/3