nafex - [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:37:03 -0500 (EST)

Hello All,

I have a question regarding grinding egg shells in a food processor. I
use the ground shells in soil, and for a vermiculture composting bin
(worms require the roughage).

While I was grinding egg shells this morning the thought crossed my mind
whether the dust that arises from this would be healthy to inhale?

The egg shells are rinsed to remove the slippery film inside and then left
to thouroghly dry before grinding.

Any thoughts? Sort of like the "Is bonemeal dust safe to inhale?"
question.

I try to use as much waste as possible around the home, not because I
worry about the landfill, but the township is starting to charge for every
bag of trash they remove from your property. So grinding egg shells
serves a couple of purposes for me, but are there any issues I should keep
in mind?

Thanks,
Tom

--