nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Box rabbit trap

  • From: heathheath@webtv.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Box rabbit trap
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 16:42:01 -0500 (EST)

If you might possibly be using wire mesh material like havahart type
live-catch traps are made of, I think the size is fine; have seen a
Havahart trap with the entry 5 inches and a fraction, catch a bunch of
small wild rabbits (cottontail type).
If using wood, it'd seem that going a couple inches bigger would allow
more light and roominess, and room to line the inside with some grass or
other naturalizing material. But maybe you've started building
already,in which case I'd just give it a try unless you might have a
chance to make a larger one too.
If trapping rabbits is like trapping some other wild animals, then if
you can catch ONE, then the scent that will be left on the wood may
relieve fellow species members of doubts and misgivings. (Making
additional catches much easier).

Eric I.