nafex - [NAFEX] Organic Blueberry & Grape Production

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Organic Blueberry & Grape Production
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:40:49 EST

Reading Dee's query and answers gave me an idea.

I have been asked to pull together some info on problems and benefits of small scale production of blueberries (specifically rabbiteye) and muscadine grapes.  If anyone on the listserve has been organically producing (not necessarily certified) either of these crops for wholesale, retail or farm market, or pick-you-own I would really be interested in your comments on :

successful weed control methods
alternative disease and pest control that has worked for you
varieties that have performed better than others
what you've found your best market to be
whatever other comments come to mind.

This is part of a project to explore alternative crops for small acreage farmers being forced out of standard ag crops such as peanuts.

You can reply off-list directly to me at mays@paradisenursery.com.  I will be happy to compile a memo listing everyone's comments and ideas post to the listserve rather than crowding everyone's mailbox.

Thanks a bunch!  (of muscadines, of course!)

Sybil

Sybil Mays
mays@paradisenursery.com
Paradise Nursery - Figs & Fruit Plants