nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon- Diospyros Virginniana

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon- Diospyros Virginniana
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:19:35 -0800 (PST)

I didn't save a source, but these sound fun!
happy halloween

Blood Muffins (Persimmon and Red Currant Muffins)

These are one of my favorite muffins to use all fall
and winter long. Their vibrant color makes them
perfect for adding to bread baskets for color and
contrast. They have a marvelous flavor, only matched
by their astounding color. Kids love them, especially
if you call them blood muffins, and adults will love
their flavor too. You can add some red food coloring
to the muffins if desired to increase the color,
although it is pretty dramatic without it.

1 1/2 cups pureed persimmons
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups soft butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups red currants

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the pureed
persimmons in a small bowl and add the baking soda.
Set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add
the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add the
persimmon mixture and mix until well incorporated. Add
the vanilla and lemon juice. Add the flour, salt, and
cinnamon, stirring until just moistened. Add the
currants. Fill greased or papered muffin cups 3/4
full. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the tins and
cool on a wire rack.