nafex - [NAFEX] Eating sour fruit

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Eating sour fruit
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:40:53 -0500

There are some neat things about the effect of zinc and calcium levels on
one's reaction to sour fruit. Anyone who complains that fruit is too sour
when everyone else is enjoying it is probably low on calcium. On the other
hand, people who are running alkaline will crave sour flavors. I have been
amazed when I have gotten people with fibromyalgia to taste malic acid that
they often like it and will say it tastes sweet when my whole body is
cringing at the thought. This is a complicated subject... citric acid is a
byproduct of metabolism, and a slow metabolism can mean too little citric
acid in the body to mobilize calcium and do other chores. The body reacts
by slowing respiration (to conserve on carbonic acid), which can serve to
further depress the metabolic rate.
Having enough zinc in the body greatly enhances one's ability to taste
sugars, which might make a sour fruit taste sweet enough to be enjoyed. I
am sure you all have heard of the "wonderberry" which can be crushed on the
tongue, and then for an hour or so afterward, anything acidic will taste
sweet. Someone let us pick a whole bunch of them down in Florida, and we
had a blast with them and a few lemons. You can get the same effect, though
smaller and shorter term, by holding a zinc tablet under the tongue till it
dissolves. I have only done it with those horrible plain zinc gluconate
tablets, but you could try it with a lozenge. If using the plain tablets,
be prepared for an unpleasant experience while you wait for it to dissolve.
Once it's gone, try licking a lemon. It will taste pleasantly sweet. 10-15
minutes later, the same lemon will be much less appealing! Donna

  • [NAFEX] Eating sour fruit, redherring, 10/03/2002