nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions from a new member from Canada!

  • From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@agr.gc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <georger@rogers.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions from a new member from Canada!
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:01:33 -0400

Hello George. Welcome to the list. You will learn a lot of things and get
lots of help and ideas here.

There are many restrictions and requirements related to importing plant
material from the US. First, you have to get an import permit from
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
Obtaining one of these is not always a given. The company or organization
that you are importing from must be able to meet the phytosanitary
requirements specific to that crop - this is not always possible. It is
complicated but not impossible to import from the US.

I can probably help you by providing budwood or grafting wood of many
different tree fruits. My program maintains 773 different apple cultivars,
304 various Prunus accessions and 124 pear cultivars. We provide limited
quantities of this material seasonally. We do not provide finished trees.

Contact me off the list with your regular mailing address and I will send the
inventories to you. I have them in WordPerfect format if you want electronic
versions. Thanks.

Margie

Margie Luffman
Curator, Canadian Clonal Genebank Program
Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Fax: 519-738-2929
E-mail:luffmanm@agr.gc.ca

>>> georger@rogers.com 09/25/02 08:24pm >>>
Hello everybody,
I am a new member from Toronto, Canada (Canadian 5a).

I have a few questions to begin with.

1. Is there any Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for this list? (This may
help me not to bother
the kind souls!)

2. Is there any canadian govt. restrictions on getting plants/scions from US?

3. Does anybody from my area have success in growing asian pears?
(plant/graft)

4. Are the zoning system of USDA and Canadian same?

Thanks
George R.Ckrhushchev